Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2014

Tumbleweeds


There is this large open space as you drive up to our house, when it's Spring it's usually filled with wild Mustard, right now it is a mass of puffballs.  Pretty in their own way, don't you think?  I love the days like this, where we find ourselves pulling over for an impromptu romp through a field, exploring, & time gets away from us for awhile.



I don't ever want to be too scheduled in life that I can't stop on a whim every once in awhile & get off the beaten path.  There is probably not any danger of me not being able to get time outdoors though, on a trail or a mountain somewhere.  I think I need it to be me.

So here's my analogy, you know how tumbleweeds blow all over the place when a strong enough wind hits them?  I feel like that in so many ways.  Which I don't like cause I feel I am a strong person, not wishy-washy, or easily swayed, but I think my mind can easily go from feeling hopeful about life, to despair when just a few things rock my boat.  I need deeper roots.

Also, I've been trying to stave off this creeping sense of discouragement I feel about my art, & making a career in it.  It's not about the money, I know. I need to do what I love, & that is creating things.  But it would be nice to feel like I am contributing to my family, without doing something like a desk job, which a person like me would find mind numbingly dull.  So the old brain goes back & forth on all these ideas, of paths to take....opening a shop to sell my art(how?), writing a book(kids book, fiction, a memoir?), suck it up & work retail, or maybe go back to school.  I feel the clock ticking.  Maybe this is the mid life crisis people speak of?  I'm 40,  & spent a lot of my life falling into things, without too much direction or forethought.  There is this need for me I think, to feel I've made something out of my life, aside from being a mother & a wife.  Ha! All that from some tumbleweeds.



This is a painting I finished the other day.  I like the colors.  Named her Marmalade.  Grateful to have had some time that was quiet & I could work uninterrupted, because the husband-man & kids were watching a flick at the theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment